2012-05-03: Yesterday, I mentioned that the Aims & Objectives of CIB Working Commission 14: ‘Fire Safety’ had been substantially updated. More than that … this text is to be regarded as being dynamic … kept under continual review … in order that it will remain fresh, vibrant, and relevant to the needs of the time.
Our discussions in Thessaloniki (Salonika), last week, were a continuation of a process which began in Zurich, during 2010.
Just to remind everyone … this is CIB W14: ‘Fire Safety’ …
Working Commission 14 is an international, multi-stakeholder, trans-disciplinary, pre-normalization forum for discussion and action, on research and innovation in Fire Science and Engineering for the design, construction and operation of a Safe and Sustainable Built Environment.
CIB W14: These are its newly updated Aims & Objectives (2012) …
- To create an ongoing research and innovation focus for the development of a comprehensive, coherent, rational and empirical basis for a Safe and Sustainable Built Environment, which includes fire science and engineering practices, procedures and design methodologies.
- To promote the acceptance of Fire Science and Engineering Practices, Procedures and Design Methodologies worldwide, and to encourage their use in international/regional/national/local building and fire safety legislation, codes, regulations and standards.
- To provide Technical Input, from a fire science and engineering perspective, to other relevant CIB Working Commissions and Task Groups.
- To facilitate the Transfer of State-of-the-Art Fire Science and Engineering Technology at international level.
- To encourage Capacity Building for fire science and engineering worldwide.
- To liaise and co-operate/collaborate with Other Organizations having similar or related aims and objectives.
To Meet CIB W14’s Aims & Objectives …
a) Research and innovation projects with a specific task, well-defined scope and a limited timeframe may be initiated and directly/indirectly undertaken by the Membership of CIB W14 ;
b) Output from these projects and the other work of W14 may be placed in the public domain, in hardcopy and/or electronic formats, as CIB publications, as papers/articles in international journals, conference/seminar/workshop proceedings, and discussion/reflection documents ;
c) Conferences/seminars/workshops and other events which further W14′s Aims & Objectives may be organized by the Membership of W14 ;
d) CIB may endorse conferences/seminars/workshops and other events planned by organizations having similar or related aims and objectives to W14 ; and
e) W14 may circulate its publications, and information on its research and innovation projects, to the membership of other CIB working commissions and task groups.
Interested in Joining CIB W14: ‘Fire Safety’ ?
The CIB WebSite is located at … http://www.cibworld.nl
The CIB General Secretariat is located in The Netherlands. Go to the ‘Contact Us’ WebPage for information … http://www.cibworld.nl/site/contact_us.html
- Send an e-mail to Dr. Wim Bakens, Secretary General of CIB – a man who likes good Irish whiskey (!) – and him ask for a Membership Application Form. His e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org Tell him that I sent you, and that you want to join CIB Working Commission 14 ;
- Fill up the Membership Application Form on the CIB WebSite … http://www.cibworld.nl/site/about_cib/fee_system_and_how_to_join.html
The More Diverse Our Membership … The More Creative Our Output !